Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Want Victory?

24Meanwhile a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was a learned man, with a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures. 25He had been instructed in the way of the Lord, and he spoke with great fervor[b] and taught about Jesus accurately, though he knew only the baptism of John. 26He began to speak boldly in the synagogue. When Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they invited him to their home and explained to him the way of God more adequately. Acts 18: 23-26

My Greek-Hebrew study Bible has this word underlined with a reference number to the actual Greek word and meaning in the back. The Greek word used here for "thorough knowledge" is dynatos, which sounds convincingly similar to "dynamite", a powerful explosive. The list of words include:

to be able
have ability
possible (based on power)
powerful
able
the Mighty One

A word that comes to mind is also dexterous.

I like to think that I have a "thorough knowledge of the code". What that means is that I can find whatever I need to find in the code book. It is powerful! People come to me because if I don't know what the answer is immediately, I can open the book and find the answer immediately. I can speak knowledgeably with code officials about their interpretation, and where I find other instances in the code to back up my interpretation of certain sections.

Shouldn't my Bible knowledge be this powerful? How did I get this way with the code? By reading it DAILY and applying it DAILY. The application part goes so far, I can't even begin to extoll its virtues. It's amazing. It becomes a powerful tool in our hands. Mere knowlege won't get us far if we don't learn to apply it.

------------------------------------------------------

"when pain is to be borne, a little courage helps more than much knowledge, a little human sympathy more than much courage, and the least tincture of the love of God more than all." ---CS Lewis


When will we start applying His Word by showing others the love of God?

We all experience pain. But I have learned that my pain is lessened by the degree to which I show God's love to others.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home