Thursday, October 26, 2006

Dreams

The kind of dreams I have that I hope come true are more the ones where I've published a book or two, and I'm teaching in the university system.

I'm currently compiling (slowly) research on the history of building codes. As it turns out, there isn't a comprehensive history to be found ANYWHERE, and if I can't read one, I might as well try to write one.

Then there's law school. It's creeping back into my brain right now, though I wish it would go away. Now is not the right time. Definitely. I'm thinking about grants (because SMU is EXPENSIVE, and I don't want to get another OU degree), though I'd have to quit my job to get them, and I'd have to be in school full time. Neither of those was I contemplating, to be honest. But maybe a good three-year sabbatical from work would do me good... perhaps get me to focus in a direction? And maybe I can work my research on building codes into that degree? Perhaps do a dissertation on it?

There's something strangely comforting about an academic existence. It's the fabric I was cut from, to be sure.

I think I can also get grants to write that book. From whom, though? ICC? The government? What government official will lobby for a comprehensive history on code development?

I can't move forward on ANY of this until the registration is secured, though.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home