Saturday, November 04, 2006

Pressure Cooker Update

First time EVER using the pressure cooker this afternoon. I decided to make a bean dip with ingredients I bought last night at the store. Pinto beans, various peppers, cilantro, onion, etc... forgot to add the cumin, though. That might have made a difference. Either way, if you let the beans boil for a moment (and I DO mean moment) and then pressure cook them for approximately 30 minutes, you'll avoid the whole overnight-soak-then-cook-for-2+-hours-the-next-night-if-you-remember hassle.

You DON'T need a pressure gague on the pot, either. Just leave the concoction at medium heat and ignore the screaming steam escaping through the vent at the top.

So glad I had the opportunity to watch a college roommate do this once. I remember she used to tap the pressure vent at the top with a wooden spoon. Yeah, you can bet I had my wooden spoon out just for the occasion... seeing as how I knew of no other way to do it. *grin*

Like the way I fold my grocery store bags into little squares before I store them now. Thanks Pri.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Blogger Antonio said...

I am Portuguese with some Braziliam roots. I love making black beans. I always do i the old fashioned way, soak overnight and cook for a few hours the next day.

I don't mind though. I love the beans simmering with all the ingredients I put in it (pork, bacon, garlic, onion, and spice), because its fragrance fills the house.

Anyway, during that time I usually prepare all the other fixins that accompany my beans -- my homemade Brazilian salsa, homemade marinade for steak, deep fried polenta, fried bananas, and coconut-orange flan.

I have heard about the quick results of the pressure cooker, and also about its benefits. Since I live so close to Mexico (I live in San Diego), I have developed a passion for Mexican food. I love Tijuana style tacos (very small corn tortillas, doubled, filled with meat, onion and cilantro, and avocado). One of my favorites is lengua, cow tongue tacos. Now the tongue is an unruly beast... ooops that is from my epistle of James sermon! The tongue is very hard and chewy. But when they put that sucker in the pressure cooker, it makes it very tender! I also love adobada, or sometimes they call it al pastor.

But I love TJ tacos! carne asada, pollo asado, carnitas, suadero, lengua, tripas, al pastor (adobada), cabeza, and I forget the other name for cow stomach tacos.

Anyway, I hope that my message didn't gross you out!

Hey, did you get my email!?

Antonio

 

Post a Comment

<< Home