Thursday, October 11, 2007

Back to work

A quick detour here.

Kim at The Upward Call has a good post today about youth groups and their emphasis on fun to perhaps a level that causes kids to suffer from too few responsibilities at an age when they ought to be learning to take on more.

I read this article on fun at work. While this may be the extreme opposite of what is going on here, I'm ruminating on the Puritan work ethic the author mentions in the article.

Ruminate with me, and share a few ramifications in the comment box.

And maybe later I'll recount the horror stories of what happens when an entire city or state department suffers from a poor work ethic.... DUN-DUN-DUNNNNNN

4 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Blogger Br'er Bobo said...

I wasn't entertaining enough when I was a youth pastor, hence the name of my blog.

Two memories stand out from those days. The first came when I announced to the kids that my contract was not being renewed. One of the girls, in a shaking voice said, "What are we supposed to do, nobody else will teach us the Word like it's real."

Later, I saw her in the hall, weeping on her parents, wondering aloud why they were getting rid of me.

I did a thousand things wrong that year as a youth pastor. The one thing I believed I did somewhat right was the one thing those kids wanted and the first thing they missed.

Interesting how your post comes on the 10th anniversary of that night before the youth ministries committee...sigh

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger mark pierson said...

The artical was an extreme. While I see some good points in it, for the most part, well, people aren't machines. This "no calendars or clocks or pictures" thing is too much. I have a picture of my wife by me at work... AND I LIKE IT THAT WAY! :-)

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Br'er Bobo said...

In my shop...

Pics are limited to your toolbox lid, the only female pics permitted are wives, daughters and girlfriends in modest dress.

Calenders are limited to the ones I put up and the radio is set to the Calvary Satellite Network.

Smoking is permitted though I myself don't.

Starting the day with sports talk or anything else is permitted but you soon realize that your conversation is one way for the most part.

If you come in hungover, you are introduced to Brother Bobo's Miracle Hangover Cure...once. Attics get to be about 120 degrees, after 20 minutes up there, the contents of said hangee's stomach usually wish to depart this life through the nearest exit. You will finish your day productively or you will be sent packing. You go home early, you don't need to come back.

Other then that, I'm pretty easy going...

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger mark pierson said...

In the toolbox lid is where you'll find my wife's pic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home