Saturday, September 22, 2007

Adventures in Reading

Friday nights I usually reserve for low-key activities. Mostly, by Friday evening, I am tired of being at work (although I usually go in for a few hours on Saturday as well) and I NEED undivided attention with the Lord. By then, I crave prayer and Bible reading, and usually find myself engrossed in a piece of Christian literature. Last night I continued in John Bunyan's "Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners".

If only John could see me now.

I believe I am reading at about paragraph 153 (not for sure, I'm at work at the moment) and John is discussing his discovery regarding the cure for the wounded soul, his most favourite book, Martin Luther's commentary on Galatians. What John doesn't know is that his Grace Abounding has provided the same solace for me. John found a friend in Martin, and I found a friend in John. I cannot thank either of them for their steadfastness in running the race, but I can stand on their shoulders (or perhaps in their shadows, at this point).

When my heart wants something a bit lighter, something that doesn't exact its discipline upon my soul with every word and prove spiritually taxing (though invaluably necessary and beneficial) , I turn to a bit of history. I began A Monk and a Mallet last night as well. And I'm engrossed.

You see, there are two kinds of history teachers. There are the kind who give you facts and dates in a rather abstract vacuum, and then there are the teachers who present history in a way that relates to humanity. This author is one such teacher.

I had ONE history class in architecture school out of many who alone taught the subject with great interest. For that reason I astounded him with my test grades and insight on the subject. He even took me aside and questioned me on the fact that I had done so well (I'm assuming my classmates weren't, and I'm pretty sure he thought I was cheating), and I was honest with him: he was a good teacher, and made the subject interesting. Modern architecture. That is one history subject I LOVE now because of him. I ALWAYS have fond memories of what I learned and for that reason never have any hesitation to read anything further on that topic.

I highly recommend Stephen Nichols' book. It's short and interesting. And if I didn't have to put in a few hours at work today, I'd still be in the living room reading it.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home