Thursday, September 27, 2007

New hobby

Ever wanted to try something new, but never satisfied that curiosity? Well, last night I drove to the local hobby store (Hobby Lobby for all you local friends) and picked up a pair of knitting needles and some yarn. Now, I didn't consult any instruction manual on this, so as a result (as I soon found out) my yarn was too thick for my needles. Apparently this is on the yarn skein (see, I'm learning) so one doesn't necessarily HAVE to take the trial and error route. This is nice to know.

I had researched it, but never found any satisfactory illustrated instructions, os I just sat down on the couch and gave it a go... after all, how did the first knitter EVER come up with this?

A few messed up rows later, I found myself in a groove (and in a knit/purl pattern I really don't like).

My sister is getting new potholders for her anniversary now... good thing she doesn't read this blog.

7 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger Matt Haugland said...

It's fun stuff! For some reason it seems a lot harder now than when I was 6. It's good for relaxation though.

I'd love to see what you make.

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger mark pierson said...

Wait till Susan sees this...

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Marcian said...

Matt, it's VERY relaxing.

So far, my projects aren't too pretty...

You want a potholder, though?

 
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, did you know that I sort of took up knitting back in the spring? My friend from Austin knits (well, only scarves) and she taught me. Of course she doesn't know how to do the purl stitch, so neither do I. :)

Also, you can go to any knitting store and they hold beginner classes.

 
At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are very talented! You can post pictures of your new potholders that you give to your sister...for Christmas? :o)

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Kim said...

I knit and I crochet, too. Crocheting is much easier, because you only have one stitch to worry about.

But I do enjoy knitting.

Your projects will get prettier as time goes on.

 
At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I do read your blog. Remember my kitchen is blue and white! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home