Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I still can't get past this

Work is very hectic right now. I'm still getting up at 5 am to get in the Word, and pray through it. But right now, as soon as I'm able, I shower and get to work. And because the A/C is currently out on my half of the office (in late summer of Texas, no less... oh joy!) I'm enjoying these cool mornings by myself in the office before people come in and start adding noise to the mix.

But I digress... I honestly do not have much room in my brain to absorb an entire chapter of the Bible. So, I'm stuck with a few verses at a time. But God, in His grace, has brought me to a "one-day-at-a-time" point in life so He could feed me one-verse-at-a-time. I read this passage at least four times this morning.

And I admit, I don't really get it yet.

[From Luke Chapter 6] 27 “But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. 29 To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either. 30 Give to everyone who asks of you. And from him who takes away your goods do not ask them back. 31 And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise. 32 “But if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back, what credit is that to you? For even sinners lend to sinners to receive as much back. 35 But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil. 36 Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful.

I just don't do this. But I keep coming back to this verse.

And I am beginning to loathe the part in me that wants to see everything work out fairly. I loathe the part in me that desires equality, especially where the outcome may be especially favorable for me. Or at least... fair. I am beginning to loathe it because I see that it is in direct opposition to what my Lord says is the definition of a solid foundation. If you don't believe me, fast forward a few verses and take a look at what Jesus says about solid foundations and such...

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger Even So... said...

Thank God for the Gospel...

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger mark pierson said...

Marcia, self denial is Christianity. Recently I was involved in a road-rage incident where I was the one to have to appear in court, to be sentenced to anger management and 6 months probation; all because I did not obey the Lord to pray for, forgive, and love this other driver. I fail here too. I must cast myself on God's mercy in Christ. I have a feeling this wasn't going to be my last test in this area. I was raised in the belief that real men fight, contra Christ's claims on the Christian life. These are hard lessons for me to learn; but learn I must.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Marcian said...

Mark, you are absolutely right that this IS Christianity. While taking a walk through the gospels, it is THIS theme which constantly springs up at me. And that by the Holy Spirit, no doubt. I keep lingering over these verses, well aware that I'm not living up to this standard, but also becoming more aware of the presence of these circumstances where self-denial must be practiced.

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl~

Matt just started the Book of Luke last Sunday. I love it when he goes through entire books. Let's see, we'll be on chapter 6 in about...hmmmm...7 or 8 weeks. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home