Wednesday, September 19, 2007

On self-reliance and self-righteousness, doubt and despair.

One thing that struck me this morning.

I began to read an article and a rather unfavorable thought entered my mind regarding the subject matter... and immediately I drew back and thought "how horrible that I would have that thought!" Of course, then the evil one begins to use this to his advantage to disparage my faith, informing me that it cannot be genuine.

But a new thought entered my mind this morning following the discouragement:

"Of course, you're going to think this way. But the work of the Holy Spirit within you allows you to see the sin and danger of further entertaining such thoughts, and to abhor them. With the power of Christ, these thoughts go no further. If you can have these thoughts while in Christ Jesus, imagine what you'd be capable of without Him."

I really don't want to imagine that, by the way; I'm well aware enough already.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post, Marcia. That has always encouraged me. Demons love to tempt us by giving us bad thoughts but the sin lies in entertaining those thought. If we reject them as you did, then we have only been tempted and by God's grace we haven't fallen into sin. Christ was tempted by Satan to do all sorts of evil things while he was fasting but Christ rejected those thoughts with Scripture. Just another reason for us to stay in His Word.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home