Tuesday, April 08, 2008



I'm listening to the nickel sized hail fall from the sky onto my balcony. Watching the cells pass overhead. Previously I was watching the anvil crawlers snake across the sky, sure evidence that the cell is dissipating. But I don't know now as I hear a close strike of lightning...

*deeply inhales the wet, exhilarating spring air*

Gonna go get a hailstone. Connie, this one's for you!!! (seems I have many to choose from)

*************
Okay, getting a hailstone had to wait. It all came down so hard. Don't want to be that idiot who gets killed trying to get a piece of hail. But I have pictures of the balcony covered in hail now. Texas Snow. Love it.

I lay down and looked at the tiny hailstones. They look like little eggs, with a dark nucleus. The broken ones revealed concentric rings as the ice froze and thawed as it was hurled up again into the atmosphere to receive another treatment. I gazed at them and thought, "this piece of hail has been up higher in the atmosphere, at lower pressures and temperatures than I could stand, and here it is, in my hand." The ice machine made a visit to my house. They're beautiful. I'm so glad I was awake to see it all. God's creation, what a marvel.

Oh, and did I mention I'm glad I parked the car under the carport? Yeah. *wink* I'm that good.

3 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger Connie said...

And they say EVERYTHING is 'bigger in Texas'--baaaahhhhh! :-)

Sorry, just couldn't resist since my family has an ongoing 'love, hate' relationship with Texas. :-)

I share your marvel, appreciation, and respect for God's creation!

 
At 4:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love His creation too! I just bought a 5-set DVD call "Planet Earth". Normally, it is hard to please me with nature videos but these ones blew me away!It is amazing to see how wise God is! And to think He is even wiser than we can imagine! Still have 2.5 DVDs to watch yet. Each one is 3 hours long. They're worth the money!

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Marcian said...

Sarah, I was watching the History channel (a new addiction when I'm in a hotel) and saw a preview for a new series they're doing about the beginning of the universe. I kid you not, there was a bang, a flash, and then lots of perfectly shaped galaxies. I laughed inside, long and hard, about the absurdity of that computer generated graphic. It's like exploding a can of soup, and finding the explosion resulted in some masterful painting. Absurd.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home