Thursday, April 10, 2008

Design Wind Load

Last night, I was awakened by the sound of wind and fury rushing around my apartment building as a squall line approached from the West. Not long after I was awakened, I began to hear what sounded like a rushing sound from all sides of the apartment building. There was no way to determine from sound what direction it was coming from. It was definitely rushing along all sides. The speed: 90 maybe. It was loud, slightly frightening. But what happened next will be indelibly etched in my memory. The apartment building began to shake. My bed swayed for a heart-stopping three seconds. The building. Well-built, 80s maybe. Two units deep with, I'm hoping, sufficient shear wall bracing.

and it moved.

I will never forget that feeling.

1 Comments:

At 4:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was it just the wind moving it? That's incredible!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home