Monday, November 26, 2007

The sum of the matter

During times of personal trial and tribulation, where the flesh and the devil (and occasionally the world) launch heated and incessant attacks, there is a collection of books of the Bible which bring it all into focus for me.

Job, Psalms, Proverbs, and Ecclesiastes.

When I am tempted to disbelief, to turn away, I remember God's admonishment to Job. My own right hand cannot save me, nor can I look at a man and humble him. I am reminded that I am made of the same dust as everyone else (though perhaps of a harder-headed variety).

When I am tempted to despair, I read the Psalms and beg for repentance, for only the Lord grants repentance. When my own heart refuses to soften, and I am in despair of my own limitations and sinfulness, I cry out to the Lord for mercy, that He would NOT abandon the work of His hands.

When I am tempted to make foolish choices, to believe foolishly, I read the Proverbs for admonishment.

And when I must be reminded that God meant what He said in Deuteronomy, I read Ecclesiastes, which holds the valuable words of an old man looking back on his days through the grid of the command to fear the Lord always and keep His commands. Oh, that I could be so wise one day.

[Ecclesiastes 12:11-14]
11
The words of the wise are like goads, their collected sayings like firmly embedded nails—given by one Shepherd. 12 Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them.
Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.

13 Now all has been heard;
here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
for this is the whole duty of man.

14 For God will bring every deed into judgment,
including every hidden thing,
whether it is good or evil.

2 Comments:

At 5:49 AM, Blogger mark pierson said...

I am blessed to observe the work of God the Holy Spirit in your young life. Keep your eyes on Jesus, Marcia.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

"for this is the whole duty of man"

Nicely said.

Yep.

I have much enjoyed your blog. Thanks again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home