Monday, November 19, 2007

A Thanksgiving Post

Many people in the blog-o-sphere have been blogging about what they're most thankful for. Some have been diligent enough to list something every day. Now, I could certainly fill an entire calendar year with things to be thankful for, but I'm going to pick just one that has been on my mind lately.

For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; -Ephesians 2:8

Faith. What a gift! I marvel many days at my own faith. It cannot possibly have originated from within me and have remained so strong. If I were to be truly honest with myself, my own fickle nature would have moved on by now. My doubts would not have been resolved if I had looked within my natural self to resolve them. Moment by moment He sustains my faith, urging it onward through the encouragement of the saints around me, and by the reading of the Word and the reading of the works of the saints who have gone before me (John Bunyan comes to mind here).

O how helpless I am without faith, for without faith it is impossible to please God [Heb. 11:6]. Without God, it is impossible to please God, for he is the author of our faith [Heb 12:2]. Considering that, how could any of this be about ourselves?

4 Comments:

At 7:24 AM, Blogger mark pierson said...

Very,very good, Marcia!

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Br'er Bobo said...

"If I were to be truly honest with myself, my own fickle nature would have moved on by now."

As the songwriter once said...

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.


How I would have given up so many times over the years...how wayward my theology has been...how many rabbit trails I run to a dead end...yet He still beckons on.

Thank you, Marcia.

 
At 2:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN!

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger jazzycat said...

Well said. Grace includes the gift of faith. Happy thanksgiving.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home