Friday, November 09, 2007

Update

I have pinpointed the problem. I am doing too much.

Work is gearing up. Again.

I recall my boss asking us all to work overtime a few months ago, and that we'd stop and reevaluate where we are in a few months. Well, a few months have passed, and we've taken on more work. The boss signs the contract; the employees do the time. The upside is that I enjoy my job. Things here could be a LOT worse than they are. But we all get along well, we work well together. The Lord has used this job to teach me many important lessons about work, managing people and projects, and orderliness. I still have much to learn, but I'm now eager to do so, and not a reluctant participant.

That said, it became apparent to me that my free time was being used up by way too many things. Good things. Bible studies. Friends and fellowship. But, the quality was starting to decrease. I wasn't getting anything out of it. I was stretching myself, and the absorption rate to stretch ratio was proportioned inversely. So I dropped a few things, and stopped expecting myself to be available to participate beyond where my capabilities lie. Now, I have one obligation midweek, and I can handle that.

Truly, the base problem with this all was pride. Pride of not wanting to be seen failing (my test pretty much took care of that), pride of not pushing myself beyond what I know my maximum is (because I've done that all my life, it seems).

So I slept 11 hours last night, cooked lentils and quinoa for the first time in what seems like ages and biked in the morning, and canceled plans for last night and tonight. And actually chewed on Psalm 44 this morning.

Time to start living within limits.

5 Comments:

At 4:36 PM, Blogger Phillip Santillan said...

Hey! I didn't get a chance to say thanks for stopping by my blog when you posted on my book review of "Just Walk Across the Room." Thanks for stopping by!

 
At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good advice!

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger jazzycat said...

Hey Marcian,
You're young. You will be fine.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger mark pierson said...

Marcia - good stuff in that post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home