Monday, February 26, 2007

Ouch! (reprise)

Another grueling 37 miles. Whoa. My legs shot a rather biting "who's boss" message to me when I tried to move them this morning. They wanted to sleep in.

It was a good challenge. I wasn't expecting it to be so difficult, though. There was a stiff wind coming out of the south sunday, and being in the open countryside, there was little to block it.

I went to a new church sunday evening in Southlake to hear Phil Johnson preach. Good stuff. I will probably be attending there in the evening. I need to be fed like that. I need to be held to higher expectations spiritually. I need to be away from the lights, cameras (not kidding, I used to operate one), smoke machines (also not kidding), and shallow man-centered songs and messages. I mean, at Countryside Bible Church (where I visited) we sang from the hymnbook! Crazy stuff, man. I'm telling you. Of course, I had just finished my ride, so sitting still was nearly impossible. I was more fidgety than any three-year old.

But I couldn't sit down and NOT be bothered. Everyone around me asked me who I was, if this was my first time attending, why I was there, etc. I was then further blown away by the preaching. An exposition of Romans 7 (particularly the "why do I do what I do not want to do" passage) that explained why this was Paul describing himself post-conversion and not pre-conversion, using Paul's own words from his other letters. Some of it was over my head, but as I said I felt like I was expected to know some things going into this that I did not. Those things were doctrinal, I believe. Being the foundation of truth and what I believe. (Not to mention why I believe it).

I will leave some things to the big dogs. But when it comes to why we shouldn't be ignoring the importance of daily repentance from sin, I will stand up and say something.

2 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Blogger Matt Haugland said...

Sounds like a good church. I looked at their web site. It sounds a lot like my church (even with all I don't like about it, it's a very good church).

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Marcian said...

I would agree. I liked your church a lot. Too bad it's in Norman.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home