Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Changing the world

Suddenly the world became larger yesterday, but in a good way.

I was thinking about our drives to change the world, and I realized how humanistic that idea is. I WANTED to change the world at some point. But then realized that the world is already doomed to destruction. It'd be an exercise in futility.

This placed me in a much smaller role than I had ever let roam the back of my mind before. I was now responsible for much less, but I was never more gravely responsible for anything before.

Now I am nothing; I am no one, really. The only identity I ought to claim is that which I have in Christ. And if that isn't enough, then i ought to reexamine whether i am really in Him to begin with.

And now, my responsibility is in my face. It's outlined. It's here. I can't avoid it by saying "well, the task's rather great; I ought to just be a philosopher about it rather than act on it. Others ought to listen to me."

My responsbility is my actions. I am faced with only one thing, really. And ought to refrain from filling up my life with other things. Because if I fill my life with other things, they make the really important things less so. And I feel less responsibility toward them. But when God removes everything and isolates in my life the only thing that matters, it becomes that much more important.

1 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Blogger Matt Haugland said...

The only identity you ought to claim is that which you have in Christ? What does that mean?

You are Marcia. Be Marcia and be happy about it. That's who God made you to be. He will sort out the rest himself. He doesn't need you to worry about it. He doesn't even need your help.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home