Sunday, February 18, 2007

The empty chair

Our church sent out a letter churchwide a month back or so. In that letter, we were urged as a sunday school (small group) to pull out an empty chair as a reminder of who we could bring to church with us. A visitor. An unbeliever.

Maybe I'm treading on thin ice here. And if I fall in, may the Lord in His great mercy reach down and pull me out of the water.

But it seems to me that we are trying hard to get the unchurched, the unbeliever, into the church, through the church doors, because we have a message they need to hear. The CHURCH has a message they need to hear. Indeed, we do. I am not trying to negate that.

But if those who are the church do not know how to evangelize on our own, dare we say we do not even know what saves our own souls? If we cannot effectively communicate it (the gospel itself isn't that difficult of a concept) dare we say we are not ourselves saved?

That is a scary concept.

It's getting scarier by the minute.

1 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, Blogger Matt Haugland said...

saved shmaved

otherwise I agree with you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home