Monday, February 19, 2007

My God-given station in life

I often reflect on all that God has given me. And truly, I know that it is harder for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. And I truly envy those with lesser means, though I will probably not quit my job for a lesser one. I am obligated to a few lending institutions to repay debts I owe. However, as these verses below state, the fact that I DO have means puts me in a much lower position that those who do not. So before I ever think of myself as better than another, I must remember that only God has blessed me with the means to be where I am today and this ought to humble me even more, knowing how much closer to pride my feet are located. Having material means ought to quicken my speed to the Lord's side as I realize that forgetting His providence is a sin my feet may quickly stumble into. I ought to FEAR forgetting His hand in all things.

9The brother in humble circumstances ought to take pride in his high position. 10But the one who is rich should take pride in his low position, because he will pass away like a wild flower. 11For the sun rises with scorching heat and withers the plant; its blossom falls and its beauty is destroyed. In the same way, the rich man will fade away even while he goes about his business. - James 1:9-11

7 "Two things I ask of you, O LORD;
do not refuse me before I die:
8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me;

give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.
9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you

and say, 'Who is the LORD ?'
Or I may become poor and steal,
and so dishonor the name of my God.
-Proverbs 30:7-9

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home