Friday, December 01, 2006

Midwest Blasted with Snow! Storm Blamed for 3 Deaths!!!

Okay, so, when are we going to STOP sensationalizing the weather!?!?!

Even more, when will we stop villifying the weather!!!!

I love winter, but I HATE it when the news media responds to Midwest snow storms as they would to a terrorist attack!!!

Millions without power!!! Oh? If they live in the Midwest, they should be prepared for that. I'm sorry, but when did it become un-common sense to stock up for emergencies? Secondly, do what you can, and take the rest of the day off!

We shouldn't respond to these situations with such indignation as arises when we realize we don't have enough snowplows to clear the 18 bajillion miles of new streets the city planning department approved. Sounds like a communication error that should be taken up with your councilman/woman. Otherwise, stop complaining.

What? Our kids will have to stay home from school??? My response to that is "snow days". Spending a few years in Nebraska will get anyone accustomed to the concept.

--------
In completely unrelated, less sensational news, I have apparently done all within my power to kill myself with a Starbucks latte. Gives "death by coffee" a new meaning.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 10:54 PM, Blogger Matt Haugland said...

I don't know. I think this kind of news affects a lot more people (and a lot more directly) than most of the other stuff in the news. I don't know anyone around here who wasn't affected by it in some way, and everyone is talking about it. This was the biggest snowstorm here in the past 5 years. I think the 'sensationalizing' is legitimate in this case. On the other hand, I think the worst sensationalizing by the media is with global warming.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Marcian said...

True, but people are affected by things every day. We don't report them. "Mr. Smith locked his keys in his car and was unable to get into his house all day." Sounds pretty bad, but it doesn't make the news.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Matt Haugland said...

Mr. Smith locking his keys in his car doesn't affect millions of people. Snow does.

If somehow everyone in Oklahoma was locked out of their cars on the same day, I'm sure that would make the news.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home