Monday, November 20, 2006

Selling it all

I can't help thinking I have too much stuff.

I have been here before. And I think I need to address this issue, becuase it will likely arise again. My biggest weakness is my bibliophilia... love of books. I even bought more this weekend, forgetting that I've still got to purchase a bookshelf for the ones that I have.

In my quest to narrow my perspective a bit, I've realized that by focusing only on what the Lord gives me at a particular time I'm completing what the Lord has given me the grace to accomplish. Nothing more.

It's hard to know what to get rid of. Yes, I know I'm an accomplished person. But do I really need my airbrush set anymore? I have had it during more years of disuse than use. And nobody really likes moving my air compressor... it's such a pain. My huge drafting table... while it holds a dear place in my heart, and served its purpose well while I was in college, it is now a behemoth that takes up 18 square feet of my apartment. And there are other items of interest that I don't know what to do with. Several things I have only RECENTLY accumulated, just to feel the pang of buyer's remorse. Not because it wasn't useful by itself, but because I REALLY didn't have use for it. Oddly enough, the smartest purchase I made recently was also the hardest. I thought and prayed hard over the bike purchase. And it's been a dream to have around. I've had such a wonderful time with it. I can't imagine not NEEDING it.

But I have a LOT of books I don't need anymore. But I hold onto them by virtue of their "potential usefulness". It's like potential and kinetic energy... there is more potential energy wrapped up in these books than kinetic energy... and realistically so, too... they would really do some damage if they fell!

I tell myself that at least I'm not buying knicknacks that have to be dusted. I really hate knicknacks. I have one shelf of them, and that's it. They're the most useless things on the planet.

A lot of this comes up as I try to "store" stuff and there's no more room... I think "why am I storing this with the OTHER things I don't use???"

Any ideas?

1 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, Blogger Antonio said...

Marcia,

I myself am a pack-rat who sometimes falls into book-lust. I have 3 mammoth bookshelves filled (and overstock in my shed).

I can't bring myself to throw anything away. I attach some sentimental value to it all, even if my recollection of the sentiment has diminished. By virtue of my continued possession of the articles, I do just that. Continue to possess them.

Every once in a while I kind of blind myself and get rid of stuff. But that is few and far between and sometimes I regret it later.

I hope that you have a blessed Thanksgiving. I have tons to be thankful for. Your blog is one :)

Antonio

 

Post a Comment

<< Home