Thursday, October 19, 2006

Ode to Tofu

I never thought I'd say this, but I really like tofu!

As long as I've been without meat, my taste sensibilities have shifted where I taste the amino acids in protein much more strongly than ever before. With animal protein, it's a taste overload. Those of you who probably think you could never survive without meat probably don't realize that you could, after a few months of being without it and simultaneously indulging in a high-protein plant-based diet. Now, if I add the same spices to a lentil soup that I would to, say, a sausage gumbo, I personally cannot tell the difference between my meatless dish and one I'd have eaten a few months ago containing an animal product.

So, I bought some extra firm tofu a while ago. I used to eat tofu sparingly in college when I lived with my roommate who is Indian. I tried cooking it up a few different ways, just to be a good sport about trying new foods, and with a genuine interest in the challenge of making something with such a bad reputation actually taste good. But I never could quite get it right. I tried "crumbling" it (does tofu really crumble???) and making a food resembling a "ground" meat of some sort, but that never worked. There's so much water in tofu that you really only end up boiling it for the first 30 minutes. By the time the water evaporates, you're not even sure what you planned to do with it to begin with.

Back to my story, though. I had this Extra Firm slab of gelatinous soy food product in my fridge, marinating in its own package of water, for a few weeks (okay, it was more like two months). I decided to go for broke last night (trying to live, remember?) and added some olive oil to the pan, with some chopped garlic cloves, large onion wedges, and the obligatory salt, pepper and sage.

Oh wow! What used to be a "slightly creamy tasting, barely palatable, strange eating sensation" became a real useful food product for me! I sliced the tofu into thin strips and laid them in the oil and threw the onions on top (for presentation, mostly, although I live alone, so this may possibly come off as odd). The slight carmelization of the onions and garlic created a brown glaze for the tofu to sizzle in, along with the oil. I quickly sliced some lettuce and tomato and avocado to recieve my lovely meat-replacement dish.

I swear, it tastes just like chicken. And no, I'm not just saying that. I can actually taste the amino acids in my protein-laden plant-based diet.

Just like I can taste the sugars in the plants I cook on the stove, converted from the cellulose plant fiber being broken down by the heat.

It's not just a healthy way to eat; it also satisfies my continual desire to treat every day as a science lab. (But without having to worry about a grade!!!!)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home