Sunday, February 01, 2009

2009 is the year I begin reading the Bible all the way through. Now, there was a big hiccup at the end of Genesis, but I'm back on track in Exodus. I am gaining a lot more from reading the Bible through than I ever thought I would. I remember reading it through as a kid with my parents, but I never understood it. That was because I was not regenerated, and I COULD not understand it. I had to remind myself that I would most certainly get something out of every day, because I am now able to comprehend spiritual things. It is quite amazing how we often have to pull rank on our minds.

So, as I said, I am in Exodus. The children of Israel have just finished partying with the calf, and God has just shown Moses His back. And a few things have impressed themselves upon me, and I thought I would blog about them for once in a long while.

1. God is very jealous for His holiness. The oil and the incense that was ONLY to be used in the tabernacle, for example. And the priest's garments that could not touch anything unholy. Now, think about this for a moment. God is Holy, and He cannot be anything BUT holy. But what about us? We are commanded to be holy (Lev 11:44; 1 Peter 1:16). We are priests (Exodus 19:6; Rev. 1:5-6), and we are His temple (John 2:21; 1 Cor 6:19). And are we so zealous for God's holiness as Moses was? I would say not many. I see how in my life I abuse grace over and over again. And the holiness of God is often far from my mind. It ought to be in front of my eyes.

2. In Exodus 33:18-23 Moses asks God to show him His glory. But the Lord says that no man can see His face and live, but that He will show Moses His back. And I considered how God does this often. We do not see the front side of God in His work, but after He has passed, we see the back of Him in the wake of provision He leaves after Himself for us. All the while, He covers us with His hand and protects us, as the Psalmist calls the Lord the rock of his refuge and strength. Oh, I wish I could say this more clearly.

3. What favor Moses found in God's sight, by the Lord's own choosing. (Exodus 33:17, 19b) And how steadfast he was for God's own glory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home