Monday, January 05, 2009

A new thought for the new year


I picked up this little gem in our church's bookstore over the holidays.

I'll be honest. This was the last topic I wanted to read about. The absolute last. I have never really been interested in business to the degree that I took having my own very seriously. I did a lot of contract work in college, which may sound impressive. I just did freelance AutoCAD work for contractors and homeowners, and wrote up a little Invoice, and received a check in the mail. It was a pretty simple dorm-room operation. The last thing I remember doing was for a small home-builder in OKC not long after I moved here. He needed advice on easements and eaves. I did the research, and sent him the info, along with a bill. No check. It was then that I realized that moonlighting was just not worth it. I have a good job here.

So, fast forward about seven years. I have my "other" degree. I have a license to practice architecture. I have a lot to learn.

But I also have this office. It's not mine, no. But it's here. It's a resource. And I am to work here to the glory of God. Now, unfortunately, not a lot of that occurs here, generally. And I've fallen into poor work ethics in some areas. I have struggled to keep on course in others. But the thought has always been in my mind that I just work here. I am not interested in managing an office. I'm not even interested in managing projects. I just do code, and I'm quite comfortable and competent at it.

But the question has been looming large in my mind with greater frequency:

"If this were my office, what would I do differently?"

I think it's perfectly fine for me to ask this question and to live those answers myself. The hardest thing for me to do has been to work for the glory of God, but it is my calling, and my greatest responsibility right now. I have no excuse for not doing it right; I have few other responsibilities.

I have found myself in the last year trying to put more on my plate than God would have ever given me for my good. What He took away was for my good, and for me to see that it was for my good, and to give me an opportunity to trust Him. But it was not His intention to leave me with nothing to work with my hands on. I look at this office and I see opportunities to glorify God with my order and neatness, with my management of time and other resources.

I have begun to read the book posted above, and have been giving a lot of thought to the moral good of work, and of going into business. If this is where I am to be, I'd rather do it all with gusto, and as unto the Lord. There will be good times and there will be bad times, and through it all "teach me Your ways, O Lord, and lead my feet in a level path because of my foes."

That's all for now. Happy New Year, from the architect.

4 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you get my email?

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger donsands said...

I may get this book. I love brother Grudem. And I need some encouragement, for my business is in the valley of the shadow of death right now, and so my fortitude is castdown.

Thanks for posting this.

May this be your most blessed year in Christ's love and peace ever. Amen.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Br'er Shaygetz said...

I have the highest regard for anyone who can uphold the Gospel and Godly integrity in an atmosphere of regulation and taxation that is utterly opposed to self employment and Christ in the business world.

I tried and withered at the first volley of establishing an LLC and licensing.

Blessings, grace and peace, BC

 
At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you too and great post. I'm a RN and many, many times knowing that I work to show off God's attributes and glorify Him is the only thing which gets me through the day (or night since I work nights). He literally picks me up and carries me through all the burdensome times at work...all for His glory!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home