Friday, March 02, 2007

Moments

I have a confession to make.

There are moments I see myself pitted squarely against lukewarm Christianity, and my fervor puts me to shame. I feel my face get hot, and I become embarassed.

I hate seeing myself like that. Not fervent, but embarassed. I am not ashamed of the gospel, am I?

I ought to cling to the truth even harder, because I am becoming slowly aware of the devil's infiltration in our ranks. People who believe themselves saved are no more saved than their automobile. And people within the church who would argue that God IS about the happiness of man. And who would endeavor to pour cold water on a burning soul ought to think twice about it. We weren't "warned" about being lukewarm simply because it's not God's preference; we were "warned" because it is detestable and God hates it.

But if I say, "I will not mention Him
or speak any more in His name,"
His word is in my heart like a fire,
a fire shut up in my bones.
I am weary of holding it in;
indeed, I cannot. - Jeremiah 20:9

Sometimes this fire is painful, but I'd rather live with it than without it anyday.

5 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, Blogger Antonio said...

Hey Marcia,

you say:

"People who believe themselves saved are no more saved than their automobile."

May I please receive your answers to two questions:

1) How do you think such a circumstance, such as the one you describe for us above in your quote, happens? How do you think people who are not saved, nevertheless believe themselves saved?

2) How are you made aware personally of people who believe themselves saved but aren't? What are the indications that someone who believes himself saved is rather unsaved?

Asked another way, what makes you think there are people out there who believe themselves saved but in actuality are not?

I thank you in advance for your answers.

respectfully,

Antonio

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Marcian said...

I can answer both of those through George Whitefield's powerful sermon "Method of Grace".

That is all.

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Antonio said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Antonio said...

Marcia,

I fail to see the purpose of you deleting my post.

Antonio

PS: The comment you now deleted is a new post on Unashamed of Grace

 

Post a Comment

<< Home