Friday, January 19, 2007

I know it's hard to believe, but...

I no longer see how I or anyone else can merely "coast" into the afterlife on autopilot and expect a favorable outcome. The Christian life demands everything from God, and nothing from ourselves. And if we're still struggling with sin in our lives, we must often wonder why it is that God has left us to struggle on our own. I posit that we are struggling on our own because we refuse to acknowledge that it is our own spiritual insufficiency we are dealing with, and pride by which we refuse to see it. We beat ourselves down for stumbling into error. However, the truth is that if we had not charged ahead into the fray with our wits about us and nothing else, we might have had a chance.

Instead, we ought to tread lightly in places where we know we will never be strong enough without the Lord. For some of us, that may mean every second of every day.

It's that whole "I believe in Jesus, and I'm still going to do this" instead of falling on our knees and saying "Jesus, I'm sorry, I can't believe I'm doing this. Help me do what is right."

31To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." -John 8:31-32

And what are His teachings? Oh, the four gospels, of course, but the Old Testament as it is illuminated by the four gospels.

And if you have any further doubt:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home