Monday, January 15, 2007

I find it interesting....

As I'm researching the emergent church, and other spiritual spin-offs of Christianity, I find myself further out in the boat and away from shore than previously.

I find it interesting that scripture can be interpreted in light of scripture. Granted, I knew that all along, and had you asked me that at age 12, I probably would have responded similarly. I knew. It didn't take a special type of youth service, or a candle light service or a rock concert to explain that to me. I got it.

The Bible is my anchor. Jesus, the Word. It's all the same. I listened to the Psalms this weekend and found my ears pricked at certain points where Jesus appeared. Okay, MANY points. I think the Psalms is more about Jesus than about anything else. I think the Bible is more about sin and redemption than anything else. I dont' think it's about culture (in fact, we often have to do additional anthropological and archaeological research to undertsand the culture). It simply is not there. It simply isn't important. What is important is that the Bible, its message, transcends culture. Sin and the work done at the cross, the resurrection, all of that transcends culture. And it MUST if it is to be effective. The salvation message cannot be affected by culture; it must stand independently of culture. Because if there is knowledge, it will be done away with.

So what does it mean to be a Christian? First of all read the Bible and do what it says. And what does it say? Love! And we cannot love when we are dead in our sins. We cannot give God all glory when we are dead in our sins. Those who bantered back and forth about altruism didn't have a clue. And it shows.

We were rescued once and for all. And what must we do to be saved? Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. That's all. Believe you're a sinner. Stop trying to do it all yourself. And start building the Kingdom by loving others and dying to self. Consider everything you do an act of love. Love your boss by working hard. Love your parents by respecting them, even in your adulthood. Love your friends by speaking the truth to them. Put others before yourself. Don't sacrifice to be a martyr... sacrifice because of the sacrifice made for you. How do you identify with Christ? By disowning yourself. Not through elaborate appendages to the Christian faith that make what is unseen a bit more tangible.

Indeed, become the least. The janitor is closer to the kingdom of heaven. A child is closer to the kingdom of heaven. And do this not because it will get you in, but because Christ lives in you.

Seriously, let go of the greatest offense you hold. Let go of the least offense.

And read 1 - 3 John.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home