Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Rubberband Effect

Relationships inevitably come with a little bit of strain at times. Even with the God of the Universe. Because no matter who it is with, at least ONE of us is imperfect.

Lately I've been in and out of a phase of "distance" with God. I feel Him one day, and it's a great day. The next day, He's gone. It's like a cosmic game of hide-and-seek. On other occasions, it is ME who is the one causing the distance between us. And I could be wrong, but this is just how I perceive things right now.

The amazing thing is that once the relationship gets ironed out, and the murky waters start to clear, I feel so much CLOSER than I did before. And I think it is the same way with human relationships as well. We will inevitably experience strain in even the BEST of relationships with the best of people. And our two choices are to walk away, or face the circumstances and work through the trouble. I am amazed at how much CLOSER I feel afterward with those I choose to stay and work things through. I call it "the rubberband effect" because no matter how hard the strain and stress on the relationship, once one or both parties decides to stop pulling against the other, there is this unseen "force" that pulls the two back together with such ferocity that their relationship "cures" to a much stronger degree than it was before. (Yes, I am mixing rubberband and cement metaphors, but this is my blog, so I grant myself impunity.)

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Blogger Matt Haugland said...

Maybe the real problem is that you're chasing a ghost?

Just a thought.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Marcian said...

The Holy Ghost perhaps?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home