Wednesday, October 04, 2006

It isn't easy being green

Why am I a vegan? I would have to say it stems from my persistent desire to be a human guinea pig.

In April of 2004, I was diagnosed with PCOS and associated Type 2 Diabetes (insulin resistant type). Upon being given this unfortunate news, I was given a bit further unfortunate news: I would be taking a pill for the REST of my life.

I can't articulate here how devastated I was. I rarely took Tylenol if it could be avoided. I stopped taking antidepressants in college cold-turkey because I didn't want to be tied to medication. And here I was staring my mortality in the face. So long adolescent bravado. Welcome to the world of death (served fresh daily).

The up side was that the medication worked. I started taking one pill a day for the first week (gradually increasing to three daily) and the same day I started the medication I instantly felt better. I thought it could be the placebo effect, but the next day was just as good. I lost a little bit of weight (something that for years had been a constant and consistent struggle) and had more energy. I had always been a healthy eater, perhaps an under-eater. And running had been a pasttime since high school.

But I only felt good as long as I was consistent with the meds. There were days I'd forget to take them, and by the end of the day (say 7 at night) not only had I not taken any, I'd be so out of it that I couldn't make the connection WHY I felt so confused and lethargic.

Then I discovered veganism.

It was an article I read not too long ago. Someone had taken a group of diabetics and put them on a vegan diet. An amazingly high percentage of them were able to cut back on medication (even without exercise) and some went completely off of it. It sounded too good to be true. So I tried it. *grin*

Despite the fewer options I have at restaurants (becoming even FEWER as I discover just how many menu items have meat products in them), I wouldn't ever go back. It's been over two months now, and I've never felt better... perhaps not since I was a child. Some of the noticeable benefits include:

1. sharpened memory
2. better focus on tasks
3. increased energy
4. improved mood
5. greater interest in my hobbies
6. weight loss
7. higher athletic endurance
8. less reliance on medication
9. mental clarity
10. better organizational skills

There's a lot I owe to that one little journal article.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Blogger Marcian said...

Kat- I can't even be tempted to THINK about eating meat anymore. It just doesn't do anything for me. If I had a cheeseburger, I'd probably feel the same way. I'd have to say that sliced zucchini cooked in olive oil, garlic and onion is my new "cheeseburger". I crave it like nobody's business when I get back from a bike ride. Too bad I'm usually too tired to make it.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Matt Haugland said...

Different people have different taste I guess. If you like vegetables, great.

Most people like meat too - it tastes good, it's healthy (not all kinds but some), it has lots of protein, so there's no reason not to eat it if you like it.

Even if all the benefits you mentioned are true, it still wouldn't be worth it to me because veganism would greatly reduce my quality of life.

And of course, there are tons people who don't feel healthy after becoming vegan and go back to meat-eating and feel much more healthy and energetic. I guess it depends on the person. But as I said in the beginning, if you like it, great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home