Monday, February 04, 2008

Quiet introspection

Have you ever gone aaaalllll the way back to page 1 of your blog?

I did.

For the first few months, I cannot say that I was a truly regenerated creature. I read the entries and I remember the struggle. I see the breadcrumbs God put in my path to lead me to the cross. But these are those monuments to God. Likely, my apartment is not sturdy enough to handle large stones in the living room (not to mention their being a tripping hazard). But I can look at these monuments. These reminders of where I was, and the love and faithfulness of a God who chooses His own and brings them to Himself. I spent a few moments perusing the bits of information left by a pretty clueless individual and find myself quite assured that I could not have gotten where I am now on my own. There was definite leading, and definite slow and deliberate revelation.

What's comforting in that is that there is nothing I can do that would change the Father's love for me. He does not change His mind about the people He chooses or the gifts He gives them (Romans 11:29). I am sealed for the day of redemption (Eph. 4:30). There is comfort at looking back at who I was, and seeing how God still called me out. I will be a work of His hands, for His glory, and none of my own. I cannot come to Him and say "look what I did for You, and how much better I am because of it!" No, there is nothing good within my flesh (Romans 7:18). Anything good coming from me results from Him.

As the Lord was bringing me to Him, I had this verse tucked into the frame on the bathroom mirror:

and provide for those who grieve in Zion— to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of His splendor. - Isaiah 61:3

Indeed.

2 Comments:

At 7:07 AM, Blogger mark pierson said...

Great, great theology seen in this post. I loved it.

Mark

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Connie said...

Very nice to read your thoughts on this! It is no longer I who lives, but X in me! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home