Thursday, January 17, 2008

Vicarious Blogging Tour Stop Three

I can't help myself.

This post reminds me of monday night, sitting in Starbucks, thankful I had a night to study, but pondering what my life reflected and praying for an opportunity to share the gospel.

Then, as if on cue, this big black guy walks in. He doesn't order a drink. He walks over to the bar and picks up a straw and proceeds to chew on the end as he makes his way to the table next to me. He sits down directly facing me.

"Hey, what's your name." Is he talking to me? Can't he see I'm reading?

He had been drinking. But I reluctantly entered into a conversation with him. If you've ever had a conversation about religion with a drunk person, just know that they won't be able to put together a solid logical statement, nor will they remember a thing about it. Don't get frustrated. Just pray and let them talk.

He got up in mid sentence, proceeded to put his coat back on and walked out the door without finishing the conversation.

Lord, that wasn't what I meant.

Still, no matter who or what opportunity is dropped in your lap, will you be ready to give an account? I was amazed at how much knowledge he had about the Bible (he had gone to ORU in Tulsa), and if he hadn't been drinking I wonder if we would have been able to have a discussion about some of the points he brought up.

5 Comments:

At 9:32 PM, Blogger Br'er Bobo said...

Be faithful...I remember a supervisor I had in the past, a militant lesbian who practiced Wicca, a preacher's daughter who could match me verse for verse in any debate. One day, it just might smack them upside the head that the love they've longed for was shown them in those few moments years back through a faithful believer.

Oh, in unrelated news, here's something right up your alley>>> http://j-walkblog.com/index.php?/weblog/posts/moving_big_rocks

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Marcian said...

I love it! So simple!!!

And I love it when people have weird "passions"... like "moving heavy objects".

I feel a bit more normal then...

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did good in obeying God by talking with him about the Gospel...it just might have sparked something in him...who knows! It's hard to talk with drunk people. Our neighbor is normally drunk and so I know what you're talking about. However, our responsibility is to share the Gospel...God does the rest. It's hard sometimes, isn't it?

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Connie said...

I know what an odd situation that can be--having worked in a number of Christian bookstores where religious 'refugees' come and go. One can only imagine what the 'road' has been like from ORU (poor theology, but by God's grace the gospel is still recognizable there) to wandering drunk.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Marcian said...

Sarah,
There was no talking with him about the gospel, only letting him talk about the Bible. He had a lot to say. He seemed to be a chronic drinker, and didn't have the attention span necessary to listen to a sentence of any length.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home