Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Goodbye Chester

Well, Chester may have cancer, will have to have an operation and may even need to have his leg amputated, and will certainly need care greater than I can provide right now in this time in my life. Especially with the next exam looming in 19 days.

I learned a lot with this cat. Just in the last 4 days, I learned how to be more patient. I learned to enjoy some of the sweeter things in life, like watching two cats play and interact. I considered Proverbs 14:10
Each heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can share its joy.

I am sure there will be people who extend words of comfort, but they won't be experiencing the same sorrow.

I am aware now that it is best to be silent in the company of these people. How can I possibly know what sorrow they are feeling when THEY or loved ones are inflicted with the horrible consequences of living in a fallen world. Granted, it could have been much worse. It could have been a parent or friend. But it was enough, it was just enough to make me think about how the Lord gives, and the Lord takes away.

Why didn't He protect me from bringing Chester home? From getting all the supplies? From considering getting another cat? I understand, this is minor, but I am learning through the kind hand of God's sovereignty and providence in my life how to trust Him now. I only pray that I will be able to exhibit the same level of trust with the greater disappointments and sorrows in life.

As I said before, we cannot embrace all of life's joys and none of its sorrows.

I would love to keep him, nurse him back to health, but I have an obligation that I made a long time ago, and I have to see that through first, before taking on anything else. I made a commitment a long time ago, and I cannot abandon it for any desires that come up along the way.

1 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one whose gone through this! I got a dog by way of my niece wanting one. I ended up having to find him a good home because the rest of the family couldn't deal with him. I cried and cried but learned through that experience how selfish I can be and it was a good lesson of giving up something I really wanted in order for someone else to get what they really wanted. I just loved that little dog, but he's got a great home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home