Monday, October 29, 2007

Nice things

By default, I tend to make rather black and white distinctions between what is good and what isn't. For that reason I believe I have just barely escaped making most people around me my enemies (can we say, "by the grace of God"?).

But I appreciated Phil Johnson's approach to the whole matter of discernment, especially this line:

There might be many nutritious scraps of food garbage in a compost heap, but if something in you compels you to go out of your way to point them out to an undiscerning toddler, shame on you.

I haven't had much time for deep thinking lately, to my own loss. But this insight is precisely why I would rather behave like a guard dog against any of the silly, fluffy, gospel-lite stuff out there rather than giving someone the benefit of a doubt. Perhaps I should have more at the ready to say in defense of my own position, and this is precisely why I must stay in rigorous personal training with the Word of God.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 6:58 AM, Blogger mark pierson said...

I like that "guard dog" thing. False doctrine is becoming more and more subtle in its infiltration of the church these days; and good friends are getting sucked up into it. Kinda makes me want to be "mad dog" in fighting against it.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Connie said...

I so agree with you!!! It's a constant struggle for me to check my words and convictions because some things just aren't (and shouldn't be) "negotiable"!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home