Sunday, May 06, 2007

Se7en Things I Think You Should Know About Me

Gayla at Journey of the Heart, a fellow Texan (like, right-up-the-road fellow), and like-minded Reformed cohort, has asked me to share seven things on my blog about myself. The more random, the better, from what I can tell. Now I haven't lived that long of a life, so I'll try to be as eclectic as I possibly can.

1. I don't actually have a high school diploma like most people. I have a GED. That usually leaves people asking why and how. It was because I was homeschooled, and at the time there wasn't an option for anything else.

2. I was not born in the United States, but in the United Kingdom. I have retained my dual citizenship, and tread quietly so as not to have it revoked.

3. I am a weather enthusiast with a penchant for severe weather. I will spend (waste) hours of time on the internet searching for tornado footage and stills of gust fronts. Then I post them here for you all to see.

4. I am almost an architect. I have three more tests to pass before I can officially bear the title. When I first began architecture school, I didn't know what it meant to be an architect. I just liked manipulating and sculpting space. It wasn't until a year ago or so that I said to myself "okay, I guess I'll be an architect". Oh, how long it takes to grow up sometimes.

5. My favourite part of my job as an architect is the building code. While most architects either cannot wrap their heads around it or won't touch it with a ten-foot pole, I relish it. On the one hand I enjoy it because I get to be bossy and tell people what to do under the pretense of life-safety and liability mitigation. But the truth is, I really just love reading that building code. Strange, huh?

6. For the longest time there was one state I had always wanted to visit for no reason other than to visit. That state was Wyoming. It seemed like the most obscure state (next to Idaho) and warranted a little attention. I really felt sorry for it. My original plan was to rent a car, drive to the border, and then drive back home. Last summer I finally got the chance while storm chasing to not only visit, but spend the night! Yes, I even bought the shirt.

7. Being a military brat, I've never lived anywhere longer than 6 years. So when I was into my fifth year here in Texas I began to feel more restless than anything!!! I looked into moving or changing something drastically. I finally calmed down and hope that restlessness is gone for good. Especially if I ever decide to buy a house.

Okay, I'm now going to tag Jazzy Cat because I think hearing seven random things about a cat would be fascinating. I'm also going to tag two of my favourite pastors (other than my own) Mr. Hatfield at Voice of Vision, and Mr. Weaver at Amazing Grace and Old Chevys.

17 Comments:

At 9:07 PM, Blogger jazzycat said...

Marcian,
Looks like you have had an interesting 28 years. That is great and will provide you with great memories.

I will post seven things about Jazzy over at her blog. I will also be posting on Bluecollar Blog seven things about me.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Even So... said...

I'll do it, soon enough, whenever that is (this week sometime)...

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Br'er Bobo said...

As a member of the sheet metal trade having had to fit 12" ductwork into 3" spaces, I'm an advocate of new architects being sentenced...er...condemned...er...required to work on their first project as an HVAC tech. ;-)

May the Lord Jesus continue to bless and keep you ever in His Arms...

 
At 5:00 AM, Blogger Garry Weaver said...

I'm reminded of the O.T.account of the time when Ehud "tagged" Eglon.
"...and the dirt came out." (Judges 3:22 KJV) Stay tuned, my unsuspecting friends. The dirt is gonna come out...but not in the same way, you understand.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger mark pierson said...

Marcian, I enjoyed reading that. Storm chaser, interesting.

May the blessings of the Lord be upon your studies and testing for architecture.

Mark

 
At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Marcian!

I enjoy reading your posts. We have alot in common - I grew up in Texas, I'm a Christian (reformed),interested in architecture, love long bike rides and love to watch storms! Gosh - too bad I'm married! I gather from things that you've writen that you're not anywhere near a ripe old age yet (as I am), so I know maybe there are some things Biblical that you haven't quite made note of yet. So I wanted to bring to your attention the issue of astrology, and how the Bible indicates that we're to stay far away from this practice. And it also states that we're to run from even the appearance of evil. I noticed that in your personal details, you have listed your astrological sign. If I understand correctly, you are following the Reformed faith and theology, which I also do, and thus I'm assuming that you take doctrine and God's Word very seriously. I don't know the exact scripture references, but I can get them for you if needed. And please don't take me wrong - I'm not saying this in unkindness or judgementalism! But I can tell you are a serious believer, and I just wanted to be sure that you have considered this area of your thought life. Even listing this type of information can be misleading to baby Christians who visit your site, and give them the impression that this issue is ok to dabble with. Just something to think about.

Good luck with the architecture, and don't get too close to the storms!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Marcian said...

Thanks for the post, Anon. I agree with you there, I just don't know how to take it down. *shrug*

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Marcian said...

Ah, nm, then. I figured it out.

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marcian, you are very welcome, and thank you for taking my comments in the spirit that I meant them. I hesitated at first, mentioning this, because I didn't want to offend you, but you seemed to be such a sincere Christian that I thought you'd understand. Which is a great thing, because Proverbs tells us repeatedly how a wise man or woman will listen to advice! I certainly have lots and lots to learn myself, when it comes to walking with the Lord. One thing that I've learned as I've gotten older, nearly 50 now, is that many things that you used to think you knew perfectly well, you're not really so sure about anymore. But even so, my faith and assurance in the Lord never wavers. I want to greatly encourage you in your walk in the reformed doctrine, or Doctrines of Grace. I spent decades of my life in various types of churches and theologies before finally being led in the real Reformation. Now, the parts of the Bible that used to seem contradictory to me, make sense and fit together. It is a beautiful plan. Keep walking the Path Marcian, and God bless you. You are a beautiful young woman, if only I were young and single again!

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, I certainly don't want to start anything here, but, anonymous, are you a male? I only ask because of your admonition to Marcia about her astrological sign, and then say things like, "Gosh - too bad I'm married!" and "You are a beautiful young woman, if only I were young and single again!"

Those strike me as odd things to say.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Marcian said...

Thanks, Gayla, I was thinking the same thing, but wasn't too sure how to put it. My heart sinks when I hear comments like that directed toward myself or anyone else. I really hope my future husband NEVER wishes he was young and single again so he could pursue another woman.

When I interact with older men in the blog world, it is under the pretense that they are my older brothers, elders in the church body at-large, and responsible for my oversight. I look to them for teaching, correction, and guidance. I trust that neither they, nor any in the same position in the local church I attend, would ever take advantage of that because as JD Hatfield said in his blog earlier, we cannot "get away with" anything where God is concerned. Even if it is a so-called "secret". One day, everything will be laid bare before the Lord.

Even where I am concerned, I may not be under my earthly father's direct physical oversight anymore, but I AM under my Heavenly Father's DIRECT oversight and care.

Please conduct yourselves in a manner pleasing to Christ, taking a lesson from those in the Bible who have placed their feet on the slippery slope toward destruction. Many of them didn't make it out unscathed.

 
At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are welcome. :)

And you are right in everything you just said. The comments were inappropriate. Period.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Marcian said...

Garry,

I was reading that story last night, though the ESV isn't so euphemistically kind about what exactly "came out".

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry for the offense - admonition duly noted!

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger Garry Weaver said...

Just read it in ESV...and almost sprayed coffee.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger poof said...

You are a beautiful and amazing young lady, Marcian. I love reading your blog and am greatly inspired by your thoughts. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home