Wednesday, May 09, 2007

It all started so innocently

Class is now in session
First, the review. What is this? It is a TVS - Tornado Vortex Signature. [EDIT: No TVS; only hook echo of RFD] Over DFW, no less. Looking directly to the west (left) of this "hook echo" is me. *waves* What does this hook echo mean? It could be that there is circulation to this storm. But the BEST way to know is by looking from the ground. This is why storm spotters are so valuable. I got to be a junior storm spotter today, and look at what I saw:
Look to the northeast of Arlington, and that is what these pictures are of.


I wish I could have seen what was heppening on the ground. Probably just a lot of dust being kicked up. But it was definitely updraft, with little overall circulation.


Here, I'm trying to get a sense of the overall storm structure. The contrast is pretty low because a storm to the west of us was obscuring the direct sunlight. You can barely make out slight stripes indicating rotation.

More "scud" close to the ground. Through all of this we didn't hear a siren. It was incredibly beautiful to watch, though.



These two above photos show a second rotation just above our heads with a funnel cloud poking out, but the rotation was not strong enough and it didn't last. It was very scary to watch for a second, as it was clearly rotating and elongating. "Marcia, are we gonna be okay?" "Sure, of course we are, um, I think so... no.... wait........."




Bell-shaped updraft base still clearly visible.



Bell-shaped updraft base with flanking line, I think.... correct me if I'm wrong.



Some rotation, but nothing to worry about. Just like the other funnel.



Look at the tight cumulus. This storm DEFINITELY had an updraft associated with it, the clouds kept being fed, even pushing a layer of pileus between themselves and the anvil from a previous storm.




Can you see the circular shape? It's a bit hard to distinguish here, it was clearer in person. They look like flat bells stacked upon each other.




Whew! That was it, until Mark called me and said "Hey, did you look outside? To your east?"




*gasp*


Here she comes....



Some rotation, but mostly just updraft.




Still playing around, I see, but what is that to the upper right hand corner of the picture? Looks like a microburst to me. It kicked up the cloud edge and formed a curl.


Slowly fading away, just a small tail now.





And the beautiful parting shot of an LP supercell.

I'm going to go home now and eat. I forget that you don't eat when you're chasing, you just go go go go go (for me it's shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot) until the last possible sunray slips behind the horizon, and you're driving to your next position for tomorrow's show.

May 26th, here we come!!!!!!!

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 8:39 PM, Blogger S said...

I'm trying really hard not to be jealous. Storm's are fun

 
At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best weather lesson ever! Marcian, you should be an on-air meteorologist.

That last shot of the LP supercell is just phenomenal.

Here's to May 26.....

xox Jenna.

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger Matt Haugland said...

Great pictures!!!

That's one of the best fauxnadoes I've ever seen!

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger Matt Haugland said...

Ok, ONLY because you said to correct you...

"This storm DEFINITELY had an updraft associated with it" -- Definitely. Every storm, and even every cumulus cloud, has an updraft associated with it. Without the updraft it would be clear blue sky.

A microburst is when cool air hits the ground and spreads out causing strong winds at the surface. It's more common in dry areas like deserts because there's more evaporation. No microburst in your picture, but the 'curl' is very cool!

Once again, great pictures!

 
At 1:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know you said not to be jealous, but it's just so dang hard.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger mark pierson said...

That was fascinating!

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is you're a braver woman than I!

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger jazzycat said...

Looks interesting to learn about.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Marcian said...

That's one of the best fauxnadoes I've ever seen!

Matt, I aim to please.

*bows*

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger poof said...

Beautiful, amazing and powerful. I have the same strange fascination with cloud formations...only difference is you know all their names. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home