Wednesday, December 07, 2011

The sin of pride

It's been nine, ten months or so since I've last posted on here. When I look back at who I was that long ago, and who I've slowly become, I see a lot of good change, but I also see a lot about my soul that has been content to remain unchanged. Reading through James 4:5-10

5 Or do you think that the Scripture speaks to no purpose: “He jealously desires the Spirit which He has made to dwell in us”? 6 But He gives a greater grace. Therefore it says, “GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE.” 7 Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Be miserable and mourn and weep; let your laughter be turned into mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you.

The one thing that I constantly struggle with (the more accurate explanation is that I'm not struggling nearly as much as I ought to) is the need to humbly accept the Word of God in practice. I have found myself believing that both my way and God's way can co-exist in my life, and they cannot. My own reasoning thinks "why of course they can. you haven't had any trouble with it yet." But that's not what God says.

My pride stands in the way of accepting God's Word as true, which affects my own ability and desire to obey it. Verse 8 is my remedy: Draw near to God [in humility] and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

Are you frustrated that God isn't answering your prayers, or seems far off. While not always the case, it could be that you are pridefully resisting God's Word and revealed will. Instead, humbly submit to His providence and law of love. Then, he WILL give more grace.

1 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this and thought I was looking in a mirror. Thank you for posting! I will be praying for both of us as we fight the good fight. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home