Saturday, January 22, 2011

What about love?

Our pastor has been conducting a brief digression from our normal Sunday morning study over the book of Ephesians to talk about loving God, the greatest commandment. I think it's ironic (?) that I have been struggling with this same issue myself, and ordered several books on the matter of what it means to love. If there is any proof that humans are not naturally inclined to love, it is this: I have turned it into a research project.

D A Carson's Love in Hard Places is where I've chosen to start this trip. So far, I am encouraged by his commitment to understanding what love is and what it is not. He says in Chapter 1, Love and the Commandment of God, "Because all of the expressions of our love take place in a fallen and broken world of which we are part, we are unwise to retreat too quickly to merely sentimental notions of love. To love wisely and well, to love appropriately, to love faithfully, to love in line with biblical expectations of what it means to love, is commonly a very difficult thing to do."

I am looking forward to what the Spirit does in my heart as I study this topic. Your prayers are earnestly coveted.

2 Comments:

At 3:55 PM, Blogger Shawn said...

I firmly believe that the more you find God and His character, the more you will love Him. It is unavoidable and by design. When set upon the backdrop of this fallen world, His love shines even more.

Here's one of the greatest questions that leads to true wisdom: "Lord, what do you think about me?" As that question is answered, you cannot help but gain all knowledge and wisdom of what Love really is.

I'll be praying for you(and myself and many others that need to learn even more about this topic!).

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Br'er Shaygetz said...

"If there is any proof that humans are not naturally inclined to love, it is this: I have turned it into a research project."

Roger that, Houston... :-I

 

Post a Comment

<< Home