Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What I've discovered lately is that we all seem to have answers. Sometimes those answers are not really answers at all, but more like opinions.

As a professional and a believer I am trying to find that balance of ministry and professional growth. It is easy for me to be rather imbalanced concerning the matter. Christ first, indeed. But how do I use my time to maximize my overall effectiveness? I'm not talking about reading books on leadership or engaging any kind of hocus pocus fluff. I'm talking more about learning to do the things that matter. Like being a better writer and communicator for the purpose of serving others. Like managing my time better to also better serve others the Lord has placed in my life.

Bottom line is that the Bible comes first. Nothing can be said or done that contradicts the word of God and still be given quarter in my life. All must point to loving God with ALL my heart, soul, mind and strength, and loving my neighbor as myself. I am starting to think that it does not mean what I think it means. Much of what I do is under the guise of loving God, but is really selfish. I know that. Many wasted hours of nothingness come to mind.

Life is to be enjoyed, for sure, and how much better for the one who has the ability to enjoy his life to just be happy? But I can't get past the fact that while all things are permissible, not all things are beneficial. Also, what I consider "happiness" may not coincide with others' definitions. To me, happiness is chasing storms, and being lost in the wonder of its architecture. Man, I'd chase a squall line, to tell the truth. Nothing but linear junk and lots of wind and rain. But there's nothing like sitting out a major downburst in one's car (or even photographing one from a distance).

If this is what I was made to enjoy on this earth (because truly, the capacity to enjoy this is a gift from God) then I hope that all of my enjoyment flows back to God in praise.

What else makes me happy? Conversation over coffee. A good NON-fiction book (but Jenna's latest novel has definitely won me over for the time being to the value of the story). Knowing (and even the search for) the truth about something. Grasping new knowledge.

I was contemplating the general revelation that God has put on this earth for us. It is to point us to Him, and throughout recorded history we SEE that. Religions are so entwined with the earth and sky. But what is missing? There MUST be that special revelation of God through His Word.

So what am I enjoying most these days? What makes me the most happy (clearly, I reason this, because it is what I have been engaging in)? Standing firm on God's special specific revelation of Himself, looking for the general revelation He has placed in the world He created. The meaning of all things is derived from its author. From the meaning of light to the why parents look like their children.

None of this is situational. I hope that by knowing God more, searching out the truth of Who He is in scripture, I may see more clearly how He has revealed Himself in nature.

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.
24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, 25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

1 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Blogger Matt Haugland said...

I like this. I've always thought that conservative Christians don't care enough about general revelation and liberal ones don't care enough about special revelation. Both are revelation and both are from God. I don't think one is any more or less important than the other.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home