Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Now that the election is behind us, I can start thinking about what is before me. 2009.

I don't often make resolutions because I don't often keep them. But 2008 revealed a lot about myself that I'd like to change, and I think that setting some limits and goals will be beneficial.

In 2009, for instance, I'd like to declare a moratorium on book-buying unless the book is an absolute necessity, such as for a class, or is a gift for someone else. I will be in dire need of new shelves shortly if I don't halt the growth of my library.

Secondly, I'd like to declare a moratorium on storm chasing in an organized manner, but I'm not sure how that will work. This issue deserves a great deal of prayer. It's expensive, and I think that the money would be better spent on paying down the debt.

Third, I'd like to slow down in all areas simply to examine my life and take stock of where repentance is needed, where self-control has been lacking, and what watch needs to be given to what areas of my life.

4 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Blogger Br'er Shaygetz said...

Pay down the debt, my sweetest Christmas letter came from my bank in Dec. 2004, "All debts incurred with this bank are now paid in full."

Promised myself if I ever got a pulpit again, I'd make a second door to my office with the body of the first elder who came in suggesting a mortgage for a new building...

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Marcian said...

Yeah, br'er, the main cost has always been gas, which was never below $2/gal since we started. Now that gas is almost half of what it was last year, my chase bill will be cut by maybe a third (with a partner thrown in the mix). It's hard to draw hard lines and say "spending money on chasing is bad." I wish I was that easy. But I do remind myself that storms will most likely always be there (I hope) and the debt, if handled prudently, will not.

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Matt Haugland said...

There's good debt and there's bad debt. Not sure which kind you have, but if it's the bad kind (e.g., high interest, credit cards, ..) then that's probably wise, as chasing can be quite expensive!

The good news is that it's a lot less expensive than it was. I paid $1.78 for gas today.

The bad news is that it'll probably be back over $3 by the time storm season starts.

If you want some good debt, borrow some money to buy oil futures once the price bottoms out!!!

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger Matt Haugland said...

Of course, you can think of chasing as an investment. A good video from the right place at the right time can pay for all of it and then some! I have friends who've gotten $500 for videos that weren't even very good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home