Thursday, October 30, 2008

I have a friend who knew from a very early age that he was going to be an architect one day. He's still working hard at that goal, too. I, on the other hand, had very many various and sundry ambitions in life. From veterinarian to chemical engineer to artist, let's just say my interests were a constantly shifting target. But now, I am an architect. And before reaching 30, too. Wow. Only God could have known, and could have chosen such a profession for me. He has put me in the best profession suited for me. I don't know what actually caused me to pursue architecture. Had I known then what I know now, I wouldn't have pursued the training. I probably would have stayed in school, fearful about what being an architect (or anything else) might mean. But God kept me safe, and relatively numb enough, for long enough, to get me through everything unscathed and un-vexed. Tonight I'm reading a book about structures in architecture, and a quote by the author stood out and made me laugh, and even more sure that my being an architect was nothing I could have chosen for myself with such little self-awareness as I possessed at the age of 19.

He must know about so many specialties that he is sometimes said to know nothing about everything. -- Mario Salvadori Why Buildings Stand Up (p24)

Yes, that is me, all right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home