Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I'm gonna be honest with you. 'Cause, we're close, right? And I can tell you anything, and you'll be brutally honest with me.

I really don't think I should go back to chasing. There's a LOT more to life than that, and that LOT more happens to be crucial.

Like doing my job well. That's important. It's important to the Lord. It should be important to me, too.

Studying my Bible. What kind of handicap do I leave myself at by not applying my mind to serious study of Bible doctrine, and to applying what I've learned to my life? Probably a larger one than I'm aware of currently. There are panicky moments where I think "what have I done?" I've felt this "tug" to let go of my hobbies for a while. And these moments of apprehension come and go. But they never go away completely.

I need to start paying attention.

5 Comments:

At 10:40 PM, Blogger Br'er Shaygetz said...

I can understand chasing's appeal, I'll never forget standing poolside at work, watching a funnel form just over the next neighborhood. Absolutely mesmerizing...

Part of growing up in the Lord is the putting aside of the good for the better 'till one day we only have the best...Him.

You're always a treat to read little sister, may you ever and always be safe under His Wings.

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...applying my mind to serious study of Bible doctrine, and to applying what I've learned to my life?"

And herein lies the true test, huh? Actually being obedient to what is revealed in Scripture that we're to be doing.

Studying the Sermon on the Mount has certainly uncovered this truth to me.

More tomorrow...

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger Matt Haugland said...

Just don't forget that there's also a lot more to life than Bible, doctrine, and religion. If God wanted everyone's lives to be consumed by those things, I think he would've said so, and I don't think he would've given us so many other things to enjoy.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Marcian said...

Well, Matt, not consumed per se. I still have to be an architect for 40 hours per week. But I've enjoyed what the world has to offer. It's pretty empty. It's deceptive. I can live without it.

I want to be a good architect, and a good theologian. Only so I can love God more. No other reason.

 
At 1:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are good reasons you gave to Matt. I think balance is key. If chasing is your god, then give it up until you have more self-control. If you are giving up chasing because you think the giving up of something makes you more mature in God (I don't think you think this), then that would be the wrong reason for giving up chasing. Can you just decrease the amount of time you spend chasing and spend that extra time in His Word and prayer?...or do you have to give up chasing altogether? Maybe He is trying to teach you self-control. So evidence of self-control might be less chasing and more godly activities. I know I need to learn self-control in a big way!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home