Thursday, October 23, 2008

I'm reading Ecclesiastes at the moment. And I'm being taken through so much at the moment.

And I have to believe it is all for my good, though I cannot see it now.

And I have to wonder. The great question has always been: How do we reconcile suffering with the goodness of God? I have to ask: How do I reconcile my sin with the goodness of God? Why has God been so good to me when I am so unfaithful to Him and sin against others?

I cannot think of one reason to have all of the good things that I have been given. Except that this brings God glory. I am really wrestling hard with this, though believe thoroughly that in the end I will have some semblance of understanding. I pray it is an understanding I can walk confidently through life with, unafraid of any evil that befalls me. I do not deserve any good thing. And I've been spending quite a while waiting for the other shoe to fall. This is wrong, though. All the while I pray the words of David in 2 Samuel 7 : "Who am I, O Lord GOD, and what is my house, that You have brought me this far? And yet this was insignificant in Your eyes, O Lord GOD." God wants me to glorify Him. That is all. No matter what I'm doing or where I'm living, it's all got to be about Him. The details are largely insignificant otherwise.

2 Comments:

At 5:59 AM, Blogger Kim said...

I frequently stand waiting for the other shoe to drop as well.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Br'er Shaygetz said...

I just finished reading the book "Famine", a short investigation into the Irish potato famine of the 1840s and ask myself the same question.

The folks on TV are happy to tell me I live in poverty according to their standard and I can only look around and say, "No, I am not in poverty, thank you very much...there's food in the pantry and my babies are curled up safe in their own beds."

Yet, I too, wait for the other shoe to drop...sigh

Indeed..."Who am I, O Lord GOD, and what is my house, that You have brought me this far?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home