Monday, September 15, 2008

Minor commentary

I was reading earlier about young drivers who have a harder time concentrating on the road because of ADHD. And I was kind of wary of this idea. I'm sure that 100+ years ago, there might have been mule team drivers with the same proclivities. But people used to call this a character issue, and something that could be straightened out by the person himself.

I know that I have some of these proclivities. Laziness. Inattention to detail. Lack of focus. Trying to do too much at once. But that is an issue of self-control that I need to identify daily and work on. No amount of medication or diagnoses will change my desire to be selfish and lazy.

Proverbs 25:28
Like a city that is broken into and without walls
Is a man who has no control over his spirit.

3 Comments:

At 6:39 PM, Blogger donsands said...

No one is to blame in and of themselves. However, we can blame society, the president, the church, the schools, and on and on.

To take responsibility for ones shortcomings is surely something of the past, and rare today.

Good thoughts, and nice verse.

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In spite of the fact that our daughter has a mild form of autism, and has great difficulty focusing and remembering things she needs to do, we still expect these things of her. My husband has the same thing she does, and he's learned how to deal with it, and do what he needs to do in spite of it. We make it clear to our daughter that, autism or no, she has to learn to make herself focus on the task at hand.

Many times we have reminded her that self-control is one of the fruits of the Spirit, and that God will help her learn these things, if she is willing.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Connie said...

As the mother of two former Russian orphans--who the world dearly would love to 'label up'--I can attest to the value of training in self-control!

On an even more personal note, I recognize the very same tendencies in myself from the past and ongoing to varying degrees.

You're right, whether it's laziness or selfishness--the Bible calls it sin and we must war against it at every turn! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home