Thursday, February 14, 2008

Giving L'Enfant a run for his money

TND is all the rage. Traditional Neighborhood Development. It has other names. Smart Growth. New Urbanism. Transit-Oriented Development. It's the idea that the vehicle has led to undesirable sprawl, which has obliterated the face of anything pleasant on the planet, and has taken a beautiful country landscape and has paved it into oblivion.

In come the planners who want to change all that. They want "Main Street, USA" everywhere. Walkable. Livable. Sustainable. blah blah blah.

But on the less militant side, it pays the bills. At least it will in the next few weeks. I've been asked to design a small "Southlake Town Center" for the town of Mansfield, Tx.

And there are always those with self-conferred planning degrees who will have something to say about the design. I'm just glad I didn't sell back all my planning books; I will be in dire need of their counsel shortly.

Did you know that anxiety and worry are grievous sins? I think they rank up there with the sin of unbelief, personally. Anxiety isn't a condition needing medication. It's a gross affront to the sovereignty and character of God.

2 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I got to design stuff of that magnitude. I just get asked to sculpt plaster or study early renaissance works of art. Seriously.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Marcian said...

It's only a handful of acres. Nothing to write home about. If the ULI ever writes a case study on it, it will mean they have officially begun scraping the bottom of the barrel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home