Tuesday, August 07, 2007

John Bunyan said it first

...and said it best.

THE CONCLUSION

1. Of all the temptations that I ever met with in my life, to question the being of God, and the truth of His gospel, is the worst, and worst to be borne; when this temptation comes, it takes away my girdle from me, and removeth the foundation from under me: O I have often thought of that word, Have your loins girt about with truth; and of that, When the foundations are destroyed what can the righteous do?

2. Sometimes, when, after sin committed, I have looked for sore chastisement from the hand of God, the very next that I have had from him hath been the discovery of his grace. Sometimes, when I have been comforted, I have called myself a fool for my so sinking under trouble. And then, again, when I have been cast down, I thought I was not wise to give such way to comfort. With such strength and weight have both these been upon me.

3. I have wondered much at this one thing, that though God doth visit my soul with never so blessed a discovery of himself, yet I have found again, that such hours have attended me afterwards, that I have been in my spirit so filled with darkness, that I could not so much as once conceive what that God and that comfort was with which I have been refreshed.

4. I have sometimes seen more in a line of the Bible than I could well tell how to stand under, and yet at another time the whole Bible hath been to me as dry as a stick, or rather my heart hath been so dead and dry unto it, that I could not conceive the least dram of refreshment, though I have looked it all over.

5. Of all tears, they are the best that are made by the blood of Christ; and of all joy, that is the sweetest that is mixed with mourning over Christ: O 'tis a goodly thing to be on our knees, with Christ in our arms, before God: I hope I know something of these things.

6. I find to this day seven abominations in my heart: 1. inclinings to unbelief; 2. suddenly to forget the love and mercy that Christ manifesteth; 3. a leaning to the works of the law; 4. wanderings and coldness in prayer; 5. to forget to watch for that I pray for; 6. apt to murmur because I have no more, and yet ready to abuse what I have; 7. I can do none of those things which God commands me, but my corruptions will thrust in themselves; when I would do good, evil is present with me.

7. These things I continually see and feel, and am afflicted and oppressed with; yet the wisdom of God doth order them for my good: 1. they make me abhor myself; 2. they keep me from trusting my heart; 3. they convince me of the insufficiency of all inherent righteousness; 4. they show me the necessity of flying to Jesus; 5. they press me to pray unto God; 6. they show me the need I have to watch and be sober; 7. and provoke me to look to God through Christ to help me, and carry me through this world.

Amen.

--Taken from his Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Blogger David Wyatt said...

What a blessing! Thank you my new friend in Christ, for taking the time to post this. May the Lord bless you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home