Friday, March 16, 2007

Know this

A pastor/acquaintance of mine in New Hampshire recently wrote this on his site:

Know this; the Glorious and majestic, great and mighty, completely sovereign God of Biblical revelation has no dreams, hopes and aspirations because He doesn’t need anything or anyone to accomplish whatever He wills.

You can read about the apostasy of human potential here.

In other news, I received three books through the mail yesterday. The Holy War, The Pilgrims's Progress, and Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners. All by John Bunyan. You have to respect a man who sacrificed many years without his family, while spending time in jail for preaching the true Gospel. For those wise among us who would decry what is fair and what is unfair, know that this man spent his incarceration writing these amazing books that have encouraged many a struggling believer in their walk with the Lord.

And I've got to say to others in encouragement, that if you are not struggling, it is because Satan doesn't consider you a threat.

What struck me most was his transparency about struggling with unbelief. I bought the books because I found out this was a struggle with him, and I knew I could identify with that. And I'm reading The Holy War right now ( an allegory) and it's very apparent that he considers many many things that we Americans gloss over to be serious serious hindrances to the faith. Unbelief is only one of them. And to be sure it stuck out when I came across it. If you have never read The Holy War, buy it and read it at least three times.

I thought about posting excerpts last night as I was coming across some good stuff, but then realized that its relevance hinged on the material it was couched in. But I thumbed through Grace Abounding last night, too, and that appears to have some really juicy stuff that I think I'll be posting about regularly.

Now, off to absorb myself in ADAAG material for 8 hours.

2 Comments:

At 7:03 PM, Blogger jazzycat said...

Isn't it amazing how God can use jail time to produce books that work for the good of those that have been called according to his purpose.....

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the article, Marcia. ::Gulp:: Talk about an indictment....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home