Friday, December 28, 2007

Who was it?

I would have to go back through the archives and see just who it was, but someone mentioned Matthew Poole's Commentaries being a bit more readable than Matthew Henry's. So I put them on my wishlist. And unwrapped them this Christmas day. I love MANY things about these commentaries.

1. They are in three volumes! No more lugging around a massive unabridged single volume, worrying the spine isn't going to hold up against much further wear.

2. They are USED! I love old things.

3. The entire text of the Bible is in them! No more looking back and forth for the text I am reading about.

4. There are cross references within the text of Scripture, AND the text of the commentary! Enough to keep me on my toes.

5. The method is expository! Word by word, phrase by phrase, the entire verse is broken down.

Matthew Henry was a very flowery man, but Matthew Poole was a workhorse. Just the facts, ma'am. I like them both, but as for what my mind can chew through, I like the smaller, meatier bites of Poole.

2 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger Scribe said...

I never heard of Poole...good to hear that you got as awesome a present as an expository commentary though! ;D

Have a blessed one Marcia

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger mark pierson said...

Marcia - Poole? Great stuff in deed!!! I'm so glad to see your hunger for God's word.

Mark

 

Post a Comment

<< Home