Friday, June 15, 2007

Planes, Trains and Automobiles: Cancun

The plane departs in seven hours, and I've just put the finishing touches on all of my 3 oz. liquid containers. They're carefully arranged in my quart-sized zip-loc baggie, like a game of 3D Tetris. Thank you, TSA, for shedding light on a skill I never knew I had.

The books are packed, as I plan to use my beach-time productively. I hope to finish Pilgrim's Progress, as well as take a good look at the Greek-English interlinear New Testament my friend gave me. I also packed my Spanish-English Dictionary for emergencies, and the intellectually curious. And I need to finish Jenna's book, Those Who Save Us.

I admit that I balked hard at the idea of Cancun, instead, asking my boss to allow me another week on the plains to chase. I figured the passport would be a hassle (I received it only days ago) and I don't particularly care for beach culture. I would be more pleased with a road trip to a cabin in Eastern Oklahoma for four days with a book, a camera and a thirst for adventure. But he kept pressing me, he and his wife, so I think I'm supposed to go. I'm bringing some good books, a beach towel, and an open heart. After all, it isn't about me.

Please pray that I will have a giving spirit this weekend, not focusing on the things that I don't like about beach culture (and the list is long) but that I will focus on how I can serve my coworkers and my boss. He is paying for this trip, after all.

2 Comments:

At 5:21 AM, Blogger Garry Weaver said...

It's a rough old life, but somebody has to live it. Might as well be you.

Look on the bright side; you might get to see a hurricane close up.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Br'er Bobo said...

Yeah, you know, living here on the Gulf of Mexico myself...I can see what you'd object to. Sitting here with my copy of "Mere Christianity" poolside, my bucket of fires by my side, listening to the gulls and the roar of the surf, the fresh salty scent wafting through my nose, carried by the cool sea breeze over the white sand....while "Slipknot" vomits another tune out of the CD player next to me...sigh...

"Oh, cabana boy, please bring me another one of those pineapple drink thingies with the paper umbrella in it...and a brick?"

Have a blessed time in the Lord.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home