Friday, April 06, 2007

Shakin' in my work boots

So, the last of the multiple choice exams is finished. I feel rather confident of this last one, lateral forces. To be honest, I left it until the end because I thought I knew the least about it, and responded appropriately to the level of intimidation it imparted. Boy was I wrong. It was the shortest examination, with the fewest questions, over the least amount of information. Of course, I could just as well receive a "FAIL" notification in the mail. But I won't be able to fix that for another six months, so I'm not even going to bother worrying about retaking an exam that takes only two days to study for. (I'm so not even kidding)

On to the last three portions, which really have me shaking in my boots:

The Graphics Divisions. DUN-DUN-DUNNNNN

I unsuccessfully tried to convince my boss to take them for me. (kidding: I never walk away from a challenge)

I am now going to be required to put all this head knowledge to good use and actualy design something for a change. This is going to be difficult for one schooled in the post-modern generation where we get points for asking questions, not answering them. And regurgitating a bunch of facts that are unrelated to anything. Because the moment we start applying things, we show that we have a greater grasp on the knowledge we've spent so much money to attain. I'm not so sure I'm as familiar with the "applicability" camp.

But then I ran across this statement while researching study guides for this portion (in excess of what I have already accumulated):

The graphics portion of the ARE is a complete joke. Does anyone actually think that this portion of the test is actually based in reality? Learning the archaic program that NCARB provides is one of the most amusing ventures in computers that Ive ever had. I wish real architectural work was this simplified. I think anyone with common sense could pass these graphic divisions.

Okay. *Puts on common sense hat*

Let's do this.

3 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're an architect? I did not know that. :)

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Marcian said...

Yup! Well, "intern" architect, that is. Until these national board exams are over. Then I get to stamp drawings and increase my boss' liability. *grin*

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Even So... said...

Blessings!

He is risen indeed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home