Saturday, March 31, 2007

Well, he's not my favorite, but...

I thought I'd blog a little about the disciple who made the biggest impression on me. The one who caught my eye the most, and the one whose actions I consider a lot when evaluating my own.

I'm talking about Judas Iscariot.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm all gloom and doom here at 'r&r'. We are encouraged to rejoice in the finished work on the cross, and be thankful as we look back to two thousand years ago when the stone was rolled away from the empty tomb.

What grace delivered to such undeserving people! Even to those who by their own admission continue to fall short despite their earnest efforts to do otherwise.

But even as one sees in the previous post concerning "Spiritual Weirdness" one must not become too puffed up that he cannot see the truth for his own ego, pride and selfishness, nor the desire to "take it easy."

I look at Judas and I see me. I see someone struggling with selfishness and self-involvement on a daily basis. I see someone who is WITH Jesus, but needs to make an effort to KEEP HER EYES on Jesus, and ESTEEM Jesus. Who isn't helping myself behind His back (you'll remember that Judas kept the money and used to help himself to whatever was in there). And as one who desires to hear the Word divided rightly, and the WHOLE counsel of God preached, I feel I must do what I can to tip the scale closer to level as those ravening wolves have unrelentingly heaped tons of cheap grace (and an empty gospel message) on the other side of the balance. I know that is a harsh accusation, and I type with fear in my gut, and with trembling fingers, but after reading Just Walk Across the Room I cannot come to any other conclusion.

What does the Bible say about how to live? How can I avoid falling into the same trap as Judas? The one word I have found that works the best is this:

SOBRIETY

Paris Reidhead preached a sermon on this verse, and I cannot get it out of my head thanks to him:

Titus 2:11-14
For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus, who gave Himself to us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds.

He reads from the KJV, which translates "sensibly" into "soberly". We are to live soberly. The ESV uses the word self-controlled.

On a personal note, I supposed I prefer to use the word sober because of the picture that comes to mind. I think of a joke being told, or a funny story, and the ending is sad and everyone stops laughing because they realize that this story really isn't funny, but that it is a serious issue. It is that act of coming to our senses, much like the Prodigal son.

We MUST be careful. We MUST be alert. We MUST stay sober in a world where the enticement is to get drunk on so much revelry, frivolity, and idleness. I think about this CONSTANTLY as I go throughout my day alongside those who are striving to fill their lives with laughter and ease. I hate to be a party pooper, but the party is going to be pooped eventually, and I see little need for whooping it up when the Bible is clear about living righteous lives that require a sober spirit within.

I'm not talking about eating cold gruel and not using fabric softener in your laundry. I enjoy a good joke, a good cup of Starbucks coffee, get a little TOO excited at the thought of a thunderstorm, and have been known to take cute kitty pictures with the camera on occasion (let's keep that last one between ourselves, okay).

What I AM talked about is where righteousness is concerned, we ought to be caught in a sober state in order to respond in a manner worthy of our calling as Christians, and we must keep our eye on that blessed hope of the return of our Lord Jesus. Even the Puritans took this so far as to remind themselves that they would be required to give an account of every idle word they spoke. With this in mind, I've scaled back on much idle chatter. And it's amazing just how much of it is truly idle.

1 Cor 15:34 (ESV)
Wake up from your drunken stupor, as is right, and do not go on sinning. For some have no knowledge of God. I say this to your shame.

1 Thess 5:4-8 (NASB)
But you, brethren, are not in darkness, that the day would overtake you like a thief; for you are all sons of light and sons of day. We are not of night nor of darkness; so then let us not sleep as others do, but let us be alert and sober. For those who sleep do their sleeping at night, and those who get drunk get drunk at night. But since we are of the day, let us be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet, the hope of salvation.

1 Tim 4:5 (NASB)
But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

1 Peter 1:13 (NASB)
Therefore, prepare your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 4:7 (NASB)
The end of all things is near; therefore, be of sound judgment and sober in spirit for the puropse of prayer.

1 Peter 5:8 (NASB)
Be of sober spirit, be on alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

Hebrews 11:7 (NIV)
By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.

1 Peter 1:17-19 (NASB)
If you address as Father the One who impartially judges according to each one's work, conduct yourselves in fear during the time of your stay on earth; knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers, but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ.

2 Comments:

At 9:50 PM, Blogger Br'er Bobo said...

"I'm not talking about eating cold gruel and not using fabric softener in your laundry. I enjoy a good joke, a good cup of Starbucks coffee, get a little TOO excited at the thought of a thunderstorm, and have been known to take cute kitty pictures with the camera on occasion (let's keep that last one between ourselves, okay)."

Personally, I find gnawing on green persimmons helpful for that "pursuit of holiness" look. Appreciate your writing...Blessings, grace and peace, BC

 
At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are not of light nor of darkness; so then let us not sleep as others do, but let us be alert and sober.

That should be "We are not of night, nor of darkness;". I found your page when I accidently typed the wrong thing into Google.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home